MONTEVALLO, AL. – Leena Saidi made history on Saturday morning, finishing fourth at the NCAA South Region Championship with a school record time in the 6k. Saidi also qualified for the National Championship meet, which will take place in Joplin, MO on November 18th.
Head Coach Jonathan Carter – Today our women’s team was very productive they produced several personal records and Leena Saidi earned a fourth-place finish and a spot at the national championship meet. We asked the team to go out and perform at their best, Coach De Bastos and I believed they would respond to the call by giving personal best efforts. As for the men they all ran personal best, responding to the call of the coaches and not giving up in the heat of the competition.
- Saidi followed up her stellar performance at the SSC Championship with another incredible outing at the South Region meet. The junior finished fourth, running a personal best and school record time 20:48.20.
- Ally Jakubiak picked up where she left off from the last meet, finishing 28th and lowering her personal best to 22:01.90.
- Nicole Branum was the third Shark across the line, finishing 46th with a personal best time of 22:33:30.
- Isabella Grant (54th/22:48.60) and Eden Toal (57th/22:58.80) rounded out the top five finishers for NSU.
- On the men’s side, Marcus Tortorella was the first Shark across the line, finishing 50th with a time of 32:29.00.
- David Mahnke (32:35.70) and Adrien Zambaux (78th/33:54.40) rounded out the top three finishers for NSU.
The Sharks await the selection show at 6 p.m. on Monday, November 6th to see who will attend the national meet in Joplin, MO.