DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Led by a pair of goals from Luana Grabias and another strong effort in net by Stefane Rosa, the fifth-seeded Nova Southeastern Sharks Women’s Soccer team has advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament by defeating the fourth-seeded West Florida Argonauts 3-1 on Friday evening from Embry-Riddle Soccer Stadium.
Score: Nova Southeastern 3 | West Florida 1
Records: Nova Southeastern 11-4-1 | West Florida 15-3-1
Location: Embry-Riddle Soccer Stadium | Daytona Beach, Fla.
Get Social: Instagram and X – NSU_WSoccer
- After 20 minutes of action, the game remained tied despite the Argonauts taking two shots on goal.
- Rosa turned away each of the Argos shots on goal in the first half, totaling three saves.
- Both Nova Southeastern and West Florida took four shots in the first half, as the teams went into halftime with the score sitting at 0-0.
- Nine minutes into the second half, Dani Correa made an attempt on goal but the
- Argos keeper saved the shot.
- West Florida took the lead in the 58th minute, scoring the first goal in the contest.
- A red card on the Argonauts in the 62nd minute allowed the Sharks to take the personnel advantage over the back half of the game.
- Grabias netted the equalizer, her 11th goal of the season, tying the match at 1-1 in the 79th minute.
- NSU maintained the offensive pressure, as Correa extended the Sharks advantage with the go-ahead goal in the 81st minute.
- Shortly thereafter, Grabias scored her second goal of the contest, putting Nova Southeastern ahead 3-1 in the 83rd minute.
- The Sharks held on to defeat West Florida, 3-1, and moved on to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
- The victory marked Nova Southeastern’s first NCAA Tournament win since the 2019 season, when the Sharks won the NCAA South Region Championship for the first time in program history.
Coach Amy Vaughan – The team showed exactly what they have been about all year. UWF is a powerhouse and it was an extremely good match. We’re proud of the group for the resilience and determination they showed in the game.
Nova Southeastern continues its NCAA Tournament run with a match-up against the Sunshine State Conference Champion Embry-Riddle Eagles on Sunday, November 19th. Kick-off is set for 1 p.m. To stay up-to-date on Sharks Volleyball, be sure to follow on Instagram and X at NSU_WSoccer.