VALDOSTA, Ga. – Needing to finish within the Top-6 of the leaderboard to punch its ticket to the National Championship, the Nova Southeastern men’s golf team came up just three shots short after earning eighth place at the NCAA Division II South/Southeast Super Regional on Saturday evening. The Sharks finished at five-over par for the tournament.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Tournament Finish: 8th of 20 Teams
Tournament Champion: Limestone
Location: Kinderlou Forest Golf Club | Valdosta, Ga.
Get Social: Twitter – @NSU_MGolf | Instagram – @NSU_MGolf
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Scoring conditions toughened on Saturday, as the course average hit 75.39 in the final round – nearly three strokes higher than Thursday’s opening round.
- As a result, despite shooting a collective (+9) 297, NSU nearly slipped into the Top-6 with just two teams scoring in the red in the final round.
- One of those teams to shoot under-par, Limestone, ran away with the regional title thanks to a three-under par performance on Saturday. Limestone finished at 17-under par for the tournament, 10 strokes clear of runner-up Barry.
- Lee and North Georgia also earned spots into nationals after finishing at four-under par, while Goergia Southwestern (E) and Florida Southern (+2) claimed the final two bids.
- Javier Calles and Josep Serra both finished tied for eighth at four-under par to lead the Sharks.
- Mike Hay earned a share of 41st at three-over par, while Emanuel Olofsson tied for 75th after concluding play at 10-over.
- Jonny Cachon tied for 102nd with a 54-hole score of 18-over par.
STATS OF THE DAY:
- Calles’ 11 combined birdies were most on the team.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- West Georgia’s Austin Fulton and King’s Samuel Trueba qualified for nationals as the Top-2 individuals from non-advancing teams.
To stay up-to-date with the Sharks, follow them on Instagram and Twitter at @NSU_MGolf.