FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Four different players scored, including Christian Gorski and Aleks Berg in a 46-second span early in the second half, as Nova Southeastern rolled to a 4-0 victory over Florida Memorial at home Friday night. The Sharks outshot the Lions by a wide 24-2 margin in the effort, while defensively, head coach Matt Watts‘ club earned its second shutout just three matches into the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Nova Southeastern 4, Florida Memorial 0
Records: Nova Southeastern (2-0-1), Florida Memorial (0-3)
Location: NSU Soccer Complex | Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter – @NSU_MSoccer | Instagram – @nsu_msoccer | Facebook – /nsusoccer
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Sharks peppered shots at Florida Memorial keeper Jesus Tovar from the opening kickoff, yet needed 29:54 to finally breakthrough when Tobias Pellio played a ball over the top to Juanchi Nunez, who then drilled a right-footed strike into the back of the net for the games first score.
- NSU doubled its lead in the 38th minute after Matty Cornish forced a turnover in the attacking third before connecting on his first goal of the season.
- The Sharks picked up right where they left off to begin the second half, as Christian Gorski cleaned up Henrik Berg’s initial shot attempt to make it a 3-0 contest in the 50th minute.
- NSU’s continued offensive pressure led to a Lions hand ball in the box just 46 seconds later, allowing Berg to convert the ensuing penalty kick to build the cushion to 4-0.
- The Sharks held the Lions without a shot over the final 36:47 to cap off the dominant performance.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- NSU scored twice as many goals Friday night as it had in its first two matches combined.
- Keeper Michael Bittner Mcpherson made his NSU debut in the second half, registering 19:44 in net.
STATS OF THE NIGHT:
- Michael Lawrence tallied a game-high six shots as part of the Sharks’ 24 overall attempts.
- NSU also held an 8-0 advantage in corner kicks.
The Sharks will wrap up their four-game home stand to begin the season when they host Barry in a non-conference matchup next Tuesday at 7 p.m. For complete coverage, visit the schedule page on NSUSharks.com, or follow the Sharks on Instagram and Twitter at @NSU_MSoccer.
— NSU Men’s Soccer (@NSU_MSoccer) September 11, 2021