FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Chama Silva’s goal just minutes before halftime provided Nova Southeastern with a much-needed boost, while Dejah Holman added her own score late, as the Sharks shut out Palm Beach Atlantic 2-0 on Wednesday to hand head coach James Moore his first career victory. With the win, NSU now improves to 1-1-1 on the young season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Nova Southeastern 2, Palm Beach Atlantic 0
Records: Nova Southeastern (1-1-1), Palm Beach Atlantic (1-1)
Location: NSU Soccer Complex | Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter – @NSU_WSoccer | Instagram – @nsu_wsoccer | Facebook – /nsusoccer
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Sharks struggled to produce any sort of offensive attack for much of the first half, as the Sailfish forced NSU keeper Natalie Robayna into making three saves to keep the match scoreless.
- With less than four minutes remaining until intermission, though, Silva pressured a 50-50 ball at the feet of the PBA keeper, forcing an eventual turnover before making a side-step move and drilling a right-footed attempt into the back of the net.
- Silva’s shot was the first on goal for the Sharks.
- The NSU defense maintained the shutout the rest of the way, and was finally able to breathe a bit easier when Silva sparked the offense once more in the 85th minute, linking up with Holman on a well-timed run to put the icing on the cake.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Wednesday marked the first time in Silva’s career in which she posted at least one goal and one assist in the same match.
- Dating back to 2014, the Sharks have now won each of the past nine meetings with the Sailfish.
STATS OF THE NIGHT:
- Robayna tallied five saves Wednesday en route to her first shutout of the season.
- Both sides registered five shots on goal, while the Sharks held the edge in corner kicks, 4-2.
- The two teams combined for 20 shots in the final 45 minutes after totaling just eight in the first half.
NSU will cap its four-game home stand when it plays host to Florida Memorial next Monday, Sept. 13 at 6 p.m. For complete coverage of the action, visit the schedule page on NSUSharks.com or follow the Sharks on Instagram and Twitter at @NSU_WSoccer.
— NSU Women’s Soccer (@NSU_WSoccer) September 9, 2021