Sharks Control Match, Earn 1-1 Draw vs. St. Thomas (Fla.)

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Although a win would have definitely been deserved, head coach Matt Watts has plenty to build upon following his side’s performance Tuesday night, as the Nova Southeastern men’s soccer team dictated play against a quality St. Thomas (Fla.) side en route to a 1-1 draw. As part of the Sharks’ 15-6 shot advantage, Milos Christoforou registered his first goal of the season in the 33rd minute, yet a converted penalty kick early in the second half forced the eventual stalemate.

Score: Nova Southeastern 1, St. Thomas (Fla.) 1
Records: Nova Southeastern (1-0-1), St. Thomas (Fla.) (3-0-1)
Location: NSU Soccer Complex | Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter – @NSU_MSoccer | Instagram – @nsu_msoccer | Facebook – /nsusoccer


  • The match started slowly following a one-hour weather delay, with the Sharks needing 25 minutes before tallying their first shot of the night.
  • The NSU offense soon gathered momentum, though, as a nice run by Christoforou set up Matty Cornish for an on-target look in the 32nd minute.
  • Although NSU came up empty on its previous chance, the Sharks needed only another 1:28 to cash in, with a beautiful passing sequence by Cornish and Manu Schwarz resulting in Christoforou finding the back of the net.
  • Still 1-0 in the 56th minute, a defensive mistake by NSU inside the left edge of the box handed STU a penalty kick, which was soon converted by the Bobcats’ Ben Becker to pull the match even.
  • Despite the eventual draw, the Sharks produced a fair share of opportunities to regain the lead, beginning in the 61st minute when two straight, bang-bang shots by Nick Brisevac and Michael Lawrence were turned away by the STU keeper.
  • Just four minutes later, Henrik Berg played a well-timed pass from right to left in front of the net, but a sliding Lawrence missed high.
  • Again in the 80th minute, a Cornish run down the left side of the pitch resulted in a scoring chance for Schwarz, only to have the left-footed attempt turned away.
  • Both sides came up empty in their combined three shot attempts in the final 10 minutes, resulting in the 1-1 draw.


  • NSU defender Manu Cukaj made his Sharks debut Tuesday, playing all 90 minutes at center back.
  • STU beat fellow Sunshine State Conference member Barry 4-0 on Sept. 2.


  • In addition to the 15-6 shot margin in favor of the Sharks, NSU also won the battle of the corner kicks, 12-2.
  • NSU keeper, and SSC Defensive Player of the Week, Alberto Ciroi registered three saves in the effort.

The Sharks will hope to remain unbeaten when they return to action at home this Friday at 6 p.m. against Florida Memorial. For complete coverage, visit the schedule page on, or follow the Sharks on Instagram and Twitter at @NSU_MSoccer.

Print Friendly Version