The Town of Davie offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package for eligible employees.
The Town’s group insurance plan year is January 1st through December 31st.
Premiums for medical, dental, vision and certain supplemental insurance policies and contributions to FSA & HSA accounts are deducted through a Cafeteria Plan established under Section 125 if the Internal Revenue Code and are pre-tax to the extent permitted. Under Section 125, changes to your pre-tax benefits can be made ONLY during the Open Enrollment period unless you or your qualified dependents experience a qualifying event, and the request to make a change is made within 30 days of the qualifying event.
Under certain circumstances, you may be allowed to make changes to your benefits elections during the plan year, if the event affects your own, your spouse’s, or your dependent’s coverage eligibility. An “eligible” qualifying event is determined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Code, Section 125.
Examples of qualifying events include the following:
• Gain or loss of eligibility for Medicaid or CHIP coverage (60 day notification period)
• An increase or decrease in your work hours cases eligibility or ineligibility
• A covered dependent no longer meets eligibility criteria for coverage
• You, your spouse, or dependent(s) terminate or start employment
• You have a child, gain legal custody or adopt a child
• A child gains or loses coverage with an ex-spouse
• Your spouse and/or other dependent(s) die(s)
• Gain or loss of Medicare coverage
• You get married or divorced
If you experience a qualifying event, you must make the changes to your coverage within 30 days via BenTek or by contacting Human Resources. Beyond 30 days, requests will be denied, and the employee may be responsible both legally and financially for any claim and/or expense incurred as a result of the employee or a dependent who continues to be enrolled but no longer meets eligibility requirements. If approved, changes will take place on the first of the month following the qualifying event, except for newborns, which are effective on the date of the birth. Any cancellations will be processed at the end of the month, except coverage terminates on the date following a death. You are required to provide valid documentation supporting a change in status or “Qualifying Event.”