LAKELAND, Fla. – As a team, Nova Southeastern shot a collective (+18) 306 on Tuesday to finish in 11th at the season-opening Matlock Collegiate Classic with an overall score of (+41) 905. George Mills paced the Sharks’ lineup by earning a share of 21st, while fellow freshman Emanuel Olofsson tied for 28th.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Tournament Finish: 11th of 15 teams
Tournament Champion: Columbus State
Location: Lone Palm Golf Club | Lakeland, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter – @NSU_MGolf | Instagram – @NSU_MGolf | Facebook – /NSUGolfTeam
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Columbus State completed the wire-to-wire win on Tuesday, running away from the field by 17 shots with a 54-hole score of (-6) 858.
- Florida Tech (+11) edged out host Florida Southern (+13) by two strokes to finish runner-up, with both Lynn and West Florida tying for fourth at 14-over par.
- Florida Tech’s Max O’Hagan was impressive throughout the tournament, and took home individualist medalist honors after finishing at 14-under par, nine shots clear of Columbus State’s Jordan Doull.
- Mills proved relatively consistent on both Monday and Tuesday, adding a (+1) 73 to his pair of 75’s to round out the week at seven-over par.
- Olofsson concluded play one shot behind Mills at eight-over par, followed by both Daniel Celestino and Tomas Millet, who each tied for 47th at 13-over par.
- Jonny Cachon rounded out the NSU lineup tied for 79th.
- Participating as an individual, freshman Jamie Markwick finished play at 22-over par, good enough for a tie for 68th overall.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Just one day after teammate Kevin Johnson sunk a hole-in-one, Saint Leo’s Oliver Lilliedahl holed out on the Par-3 6th, becoming only the third player to record a hole-in-one in the tournament’s 39-year history.
The Sharks will return to competition on Feb. 24-25 at the Saint Leo Invitational, held at Lake Jovita Golf & Club in Dade City, Fla. For coverage of the action, visit the schedule page on NSUSharks.com or follow the Sharks on Twitter @NSU_MGolf.