The Town of Davie is hosting a Thanksgiving Basket Food Drive in an effort to assist HOPE Outreach Center in providing 200 families with a Thanksgiving dinner this year. 1
The following items are suggestions to be included in each Thanksgiving Basket. This list and additional information can be found at http://hopeoutreachfl.org.
- 2 (15 oz.) cans of green beans
- 2 (15 oz.) cans of sweet corn
- 1 (15 oz.) can mixed vegetables
- 1 (40 oz.) cans of yams
- 2 (16 oz.) cans of turkey gravy
- 2 (16 oz.) cans of cranberry sauce
- 2 (16 oz.) cans of black beans
- 1 (lg. can) baked beans
- 1 (15 oz.) box of instant mashed potatoes
- 1 (14 oz.) or 5 lb. box of minute white rice or bag of rice
- 2 (6 oz.) boxes/bags of stuffing
- 6 individual cups of applesauce
- 1 (lg. can family size) peaches or fruit cocktail
- 1 (lg. bag) cookies
- 1 (lg. box) crackers (e.g. saltines)
- 1 (package) napkins
- 1 (4 pack) toilet paper
- 1 (28 oz.) jar peanut butter
- 1 (lg. jar) grape/strawberry jelly
- 1 (jar or can) peanuts
- 1 (lg. bag) chips
- 1 (box or lg. bag) popcorn
- 1 (lg. box) cereal
- 1 gal. or large box juice
- 1 bottle vegetable oil
- Anything fun and festive
You may add paper goods and other items to the baskets as you wish. We only ask that the items listed above except for gift cards are placed in either a plastic storage container with lid (18 or 20 gallon), or an 18”x18”x16” box. If possible, please include a $25 gift certificate for the turkey. If all of the items are not included in each basket, please do not seal the box. If you can’t purchase all the items on the list, please donate whatever you can. Gift cards to supermarkets and financial contributions of any size are always appreciated.
The following Town locations will accept donations from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday –Friday from now until November 18, 2011. In addition, donations will be accepted at the Wednesday, November 16, 2011 Davie Town Council Meeting at 6:30 p.m.
- Davie Police Department, 1230 South Nob Hill Road
- Davie Fire Rescue /Public Works Administration, 6911 Orange Drive
- Davie Town Hall, 6591 Orange Drive
- Davie Pine Island Multipurpose Center, 3801 S. Pine Island Road
If each of us gives just a little, these families, our neighbors, can take a break from hunger during the holidays.
For information about HOPE Outreach Center please call 954-321-0909 or visit http://hopeoutreachfl.org. For information about the Town of Davie Thanksgiving Basket drop off locations, please call Anita Reid at 954-797-1102.
[source: Town of Davie Press Release]
- HOPE Outreach Center is located at 4700 S.W. 64th Avenue (Davie Road), and is a 501(c) nonprofit organization that develops and provides services that impact the quality of life for individuals and families in our community. HOPE Outreach Center is a member of the Town’s Neighborhood Service Center and is a local approach to meeting the needs of our residents by providing better access and expanding our level of service. ↩