The Town of Davie Utilities Department will begin the annual fire hydrant flushing maintenance program on January 15, 2013. The Town of Davie’s flushing program involves systematically opening the fire hydrants within the system served by Town of Davie Utilities to remove sediments or other constituents that may accumulate in pipes over time that could lead to taste and odor problems. Flushing in dead-end lines will also improve disinfectant residual levels in those areas. This is an essential part of our system maintenance program. While flushing the system will not interrupt your water service, you may notice a temporary drop in water pressure or discolored water when crews are working in your area. This is normal. If this occurs, simply let your water run until it is clear. This flushing process is expected to continue through February 15, 2013.
Only residents that receive water and sewer bills from the Town of Davie will be affected. See map. Other Town residents that receive water and sewer bills from other utilities (i.e., City of Sunrise, City of Fort Lauderdale, City of Hollywood and Ferncrest Utilities) will not be affected at this time. These utilities companies schedule their own flushing programs.
- Avoid running your tap water and using the washing machine or dishwasher while crews are flushing in your area.
- If discolored water occurs, run the COLD water for a few minutes until it clears. This will allow the sediment to work its way through your pipes.
- Check for discolored water before using the washing machine or dishwasher. Wait until the water runs clear at the tap before doing laundry or running the dishwasher.
NOTE: If your laundry becomes stained, do not put your clothing in the dryer. Rewash clothes immediately using detergent and add a rust remover. Most rust removers can also be used on stained fixtures.
- In some cases, slight discoloration might linger for a few hours. This discoloration only affects the appearance of the water and does not affect water quality. No health hazards are associated with discolored water from hydrant flushing.
- If water pressure or water volume seems low after flushing has been completed, check your faucet screens for trapped particles.
We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
For more information, please contact Town of Davie Utilities Customer Service at 954-797-1065 (8a.m. to 5p.m. M-F), the Town of Davie Utilities emergency number at 954-327-3750, or the Broward County Health Department at 954-467-4700 ext. 4231.
Please share this information with all the other people who drink this water, especially those who may not have received this notice directly (for example, people in apartments, nursing homes, schools, and businesses). You can do this by posting this notice in a public place or distributing copies by hand or mail.
[Source: Town of Davie Press Release]